Monday, June 7, 2010

Phillps story continued

"For sure I will study today." Phillip went to the library to start and see if he could study but his mind kept wondering off. “Phillip right?” asked brown eyed brunette hair girl. He nodded “Hi I am dawn.” She sat down and they talked through his study time. That was all it took. He really liked her and each time he had free time instead of working on his catch-up he would hang out with her.

For the next few weeks thing kept preventing him from getting his school work done, and the teachers kept adding more work. It kept adding up. There was extra football practices, and the start of games, there was outings with the guys, outings with Dawn (his now girlfriend), There was chores around the house and still had to finish unpacking. Plus his old friends kept calling, and people kept visiting to check out the new home. It was like a house warming every day.
Phillip was getting sick a lot and his body was sore. He was getting lack of sleep due to trying to play catch-up at night which caused him to feel fatigued. Yet he kept pushing himself to keep going. On the day of his first test he was not prepared. He had stayed up all night trying to study but his thoughts were on everything other then what they should have been. Needless to say he failed the first of three tests miserably. The first football game he was so tired he lacked the energy he needed and was not helping the team much. “Where is our team member from practice!!!” the coach yelled at him. He could feel the other players upset with him. Some were trying to figure him out. “This is not you. What is going on?” a few of his members asked him. He just shrugged and went home.

When the principle called his parents and him in the office the next day, he knew he was in trouble. The principle asked if there were problems going on and what the school could do to help. Phillip embarrassed just sat in quiet as the principle and his parents continued to talk back in forth. “Look we just want to make sure that he is going to be able to finish this school year. Right now we are afraid he is not going to pass and may be held back a grade.” Phillip perked up “No!” he said loudly. “Maybe we should have him just finish this year at home and if he isn’t doing better keep him in home school until he is.” His mother said to his dad. “Please No, Mom. Come on Dad you know I can do this. No, I want to be here.” “Well then son, we need to see a big change. You need to be able to finish the goals on your list before goofing off. You said you have been feeling stressed lately right?” His dad asked. Phillip nodded. “Well that comes from you. Had you actually studied, and did the work during the times you were supposed to you would not have to feel so overwhelmed.” After phllip begged saying he would not mess up this time and they would see that big change they talked it out and decided he could finish out this year.” You are getting two days suspension to play catch-up on your work, The principle is being ever kind. That means, no hanging out with friends when they call, No television, no nothing but work.” His dad said as they went to the car. “If your grades are still slipping after you are back in school you will be pulled and put into home studies” his mother pitched in. Phillip nodded.

This was going to be a challenge for him.

How do you think he did? How do you think he coped with stress? What do you suppose he could do to change the situation? What would be your first move?

As soon as Phillip got home he took out a piece of paper and started to write all the problems he was having and the stress he had felt from day one and all his goals he needed to do.

Let’s review he thought


Stresses and how I felt

Starting a new school – Stressful. Because you never know how it will be. Good experiences or bad.
Meeting new friends– Stressful at first. I was nervous but luckily this was changed quickly. I think joining the team helped that
Introducing myself- why do all schools have to do this? Why not the other way around. Where they introduce to the new person. Oh well once it was over with I was fine.
Catch-up work- This is the most stressful. There is so much I had to catch-up. Course had I actually worked on it like I was supposed to I would have been done with it. Well now this is one that I still need to do so this can now be placed under my goals list
Time to balance football practices, and games in – I want to play football but How can I do my work and do football at the same time? I feel torn and stressed. Well I need to move this to goals side that way I can figure out how to fix this
Hang time with friends- I like my friends and I don’t want them to think I am ignoring them when they ask to hang out. When can I have time to go hang out with friends that wont interfere with catch-up work.
Time to spend with Dawn- Favorite time. She makes me laugh. I can’t believe she is in my life. I don’t want to lose her or my time with her. Determined is how I feel with her.
Study time- I usually feel bored with this one. I try to push it off. I cant figure out the point of sitting and rereading the chapters to memorize what is going on. This is slightly different then catch-up cause I am more focused one one subject at hand.
Unpacking- tired of being nagged to have everything in its spot when I have other things that I am to worry about. Enough said.
Phone calls from friends and house warming- excited, Tired, unsure. I feel like I have to entertain when others are over. And I want to tell my friends on the phone everything but it is hard to set a time limit to it.
Fatigue- Lack of sleep. I am always trying to get homework done, catch-up work and then on top of it my mind wonders to other things such as football games, hanging with friends and of course Dawn.

Ok so now I have the review of what my stressors are. Phillip thought. But what should I do next?

To find out come back tomorrow :)

~Hugs Keyria~


You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. (Psalm 32:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment